Thursday, May 10, 2012

Making Quinoa Flour

While looking up how to make clean eating tortilla's to go with the dinner I have planned for tonight, I saw it called for quinoa flour. I don't feel like going out and making a special trip 30+ miles away to pick this up. But, I did have quinoa! So I figured, maybe I could just make it. And sure enough there was a recipe right at my fingertips- and it was super easy.

All you do?
Toast the quinoa on the stove till they start popping, the put them in a blender and blend away.

Easy right?

Yes, but the biggest mess I have ever seen in my life. Not only do the quinoa want to stick to everything, but it doesnt like to stay where it is supposed to either! Getting it into the pan , and then into the blender, ended up being a huge mess. I had quinoa all over my counters and my floor! ( which its still there, Im too tired to sweep it at the moment)

And then getting the quinoa to become a flour ( its not as fine as regular flour, it will have a more course texture) took a long time. I had to do it in small amounts, or it was clogging up my blender because it was so hot and just so much of it.

But I did eventually get my flour ( and made my house smell good!)

Im going to use this to make homemade tortilla's for tonight. With my homemade refried beans that will be ready to go in a few hours ( they are in the crockpot right now getting all nice and mushy)

-Stephanie

2 comments:

  1. Flax seed is a pain too. I just use a small coffee grinder in small batches to grind up my flax. Easy peasy and hardly any mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all this new stuff and I have no idea what it is.,.. what is quinoa?

    ReplyDelete