Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My first trip to Whole Foods

So, while I was out today for work, I decided to stop by the Whole Foods over in Little Rock.

It was definitely an eye opening experience! Coming from spending very little on food and other items each month, to just pricing a week's worth of items there, made me realize a few things:
  1. I need to win the lottery.
  2. Id have to take on a 3rd job to afford to completely revert to nothing but organic
  3. I have it REALLY good
I am sure you can do this on a budget. I see posts on the blogs I'm reading saying you can. But its like a foreign language to me- and I am a hard core couponer! This is really going to take some getting used to.


I did pick up a few things, and learned one very important thing- I DO NOT LIKE COCONUT WATER. That stuff is gross. How in the world can anyone drink that? It tastes like dirty sweat socks smell! I'm truly sorry if I am offending anyone, but I won't be jumping on that bandwagon anytime in the near future.

I also had my first deli item from there- I got the Garden Wrap. And it was very, very tasty! I was hungry and knew I was not going to make it home to have my Body By Vi shake for lunch ( it was after 2 pm by the time I got to Whole Foods) so I figured instead of eating fast food, I would eat better food. I got that and a huge thing of water for lunch. I will definitely be getting them more often when I am in the area for lunch.

I did pick up the Whole Deal- the brochure with coupons in them. I need to sit down and go through it. I also need to make a list of items to get next time. I figure once a month or maybe twice a month picking up certain things from there, will at least help with my diet.

I got the following:
Organic Bananas
Organic Mangos ( on sale 5 for 5.00 which is a really good price in and of it self because Mango's are expensive)
1 Huge bottle of water
Deli wrap
Coconut water ( which I threw away after a few drinks, I tried... I really did but YUCK)
1.2 lbs of organic black eyed peas ( yummy)
1 thing of new york aged cheddar cheese **this was my splurge.. I am a cheese snob**

Spent 27.00 and some change

not too bad for never being in there! And the fruit will be what I eat over the next 7 days for snacks etc.

If anyone has some tips or pointers about Whole Foods, I would LOVE to see them.

-Stephanie

3 comments:

  1. I don't believe in buying organic, honestly. Even though it has it's advocates there isn't really any science behind it being better.

    However, I do reccomend minimally processed and homemade. Luckily the foods that are the cheapest are the minimally processed ones typically.

    I've been cooking using a lot of beans and rice lately. Both of which and extremely healthy, filling and cheap. You can almost always catch sales on some sort of lean meat as well. WalMart sells 1 pound bags of cooked shrimp for $5. These bags are about 4 servings and each serving is only 77 calories.

    Also canned chicken and tuna and eggs (and egg whites) are great cheap sources of lean protein and of course you can almost always find sales on frozen vegetables and fresh produce.

    What I've been doing to save money and eat healthier is to sit down with the circulars and plan each dinner for the week for my family of 4 around things that are on sale. Under each meal I write the food items that I do not have on hand but will need for that meal and then I create and organize my list from that.

    By the way, I have a lot of healthy cheap recipes if you would like any!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please feel free to post any of your recipes! Id love to be able to make a page for healthy recipes! I do not intend to go organic, just trying to eat less processed foods. But they had some good items there, in terms of things Id actually like to eat, like the fruit. And then the flour and beans and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I couold afford the healthy stuff.... why is it that the food companies make all the crap that kills you so cheap compared to the real food that you need to eat to be healthy? I think its an evil plan .... as long as people are over weight they will continue to spend millions of dollars trying to slim down and in turn making a whole lot of people rich , while we dont get the results we want! Go figure!!!!

    ReplyDelete