Thursday, April 12, 2012

Yummy Homemade Soup- On a budget!

Ok, so, since I am a coupon queen, I have to incorporate healthy living, on a very small budget. I work from home, and I try to keep my cost down, so we can afford for me not to get a "real job". I like being in my pj's most days!

So that means BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET!

But that does NOT mean sacrificing flavor and healthy eating, for cheap high fat foods.

Here's a easy recipe for Homemade vegetable soup that is under 3.00
to make a POT (i used coupons)

What you need:
1 Can of V8 Juice- you can of course use generic brand juice instead of V8- I had a coupon that made this cheaper then the non name brand- 1.30
2 Cans of water ( to dilute the v8)  Free
2 Cans of Del Monte Carrots and Peas ( the small cans) .15 a can
1 14.5 oz can ( i think it was or around there) of Del Monte French Cut green beans - .15 a can
1 14.5 oz can ( i think it was or around there) of Del Monte Corn- .15 a can
optional- can of sliced potatoes, or cut up a few potatoes into chunks if you have them ( i leave them out but if you want a more hearty soup, add them)
1 small package of Knorr Beef Stock ( these are the ones that are concentrated and come 4 to a package) .75
You can sub 2 beef bouillon cubes for the above if you have them or you can omit it. I like it because it gives it more of a richer flavor, WITHOUT HAVING TO ADD EXTRA SALT

Put all in a large pot, bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 min or until potatoes are tender if added

Total cost for HUGE pot of soup- 2.50 , 2.75 if adding potatoes

These are my prices with coupons. If you buy the non name brand veggies and get them on sale, you can usually get them for .25 to .50 a can for the larger cans. So it might be 1.00 to 2.00 more , but 3.50 to 4.50 for a pot of soup, that will feed 2 people for 3 days ( we have 2 in our house and our on the second day of soup and still have a bunch) is awesome. You can add what we did, well my husband, which is a biscuit or a grill cheese sandwhich. And you have a whole meal for the family! Cheaper then fast food, and definitely healthier!

-Steph

1 comment: